Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted by on Aug 25, 2020 in News Updates |

A Guide on how to Get a Green Cards for Your Parents

If you are a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old, you can help your parents (or parent) to obtain a Green Card. It allows people who are not U.S. citizens to gain permanent residency in the United States.Each year the U.S. government issues thousands of Green Cards, most of them going to family members of U.S. citizens. The Green Card does not make the receiver a U.S. citizen, but it does allow permanent residency in the United States.

Form 1-130
The first step toward permanent residency status is filing Form 1-130 Petition for Alien Relative. It states your relationship with your parents (or parent) and requests a visa to be granted.By acknowledging Form 1-130, the U. S. government acknowledges the family relationship and approves the granting of a visa.

The parents of U.S. citizens are recognized as immediate relatives. According to U.S. immigration law, the favorable classification means few – if any – limits on obtaining a Green Card. Other categories may mean a several years wait to obtain a visa number, and there are restrictions on the number of people who are allowed to enter the United States in any given year.

Proof of Relationship

The reason for filing Form 1-139 is to establish the relationship between the petitioner (the U.S. citizen) and the beneficiary (the parent). That is accomplished by showing evidence of a valid relationship between the two. The requirements vary according to the specific type of relationship. When you, as the U.S. citizen and filer, submit Form 1-130, you must also present evidence of your claim with supporting documents, which will differ according to the relationship.

You will need a birth certificate showing your name and your mother’s name if you are trying to obtain a green card for your mother. If you are applying for your father’s residency you will need a birth certificate showing your name and names of both parents.

If you were born out of wedlock and not legitimized by father before the age 18, you will need a birth certificate with your name and father’s name.

Copy of your Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. passport if you were not born in the U.S.

After the Green Card

After your parent obtains a Green Card, he or she now has permanent residency in the United States. However, permanent residency does not turn the parent into a U.S. citizen. The Green Card is simply recognition of permanent residency.
Before permanent residency is approved, the parent must show that he or she is not “inadmissible.” That means he or she must pass a medical exam to show that the applicant does not present a public health risk and that he or she has some way to support him or her, such as your income or assets. Also, his or her immigration history will be reviewed to answer any violations.

After it is approved, permanent residency can be obtained by one of these ways:

* For the parent living outside the United States, they must start the Green Card application process known as Consular Processing.
* For the parent living in the United States, he or she may be able to fileForm 1-485, which is known as the Application to Adjust Status.

These rules can give you the documentation necessary to get your parents a green card.